Theoretical Models in Clinical Psychology
Rhedir gan School of Psychology
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Dr Karen Addy
The module will begin with an introduction to the profession of clinical psychology in the UK, outlining the emphasis on a biopsychosocial (rather than biomedical) framework and illustrating the way in which clinical psychologists understand difference and distress through the use of clinical case formulation (as opposed to psychiatric diagnosis). The relevance of adopting a lifespan developmental framework will be explained. In the following weeks, the theoretical models that clinical psychologists most frequently draw upon to inform their practice will be examined. Typical lectures focus on Behavioural Theory, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Mindfulness, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, Schema Therapy, Psychodynamic Theory, and Systemic Therapy; each be introduced by a practising clinical psychologist or psychological therapist, who will explain the principles underlying each model and how these are applied in clinical situations. The module is an introduction to various theoretical approaches and is NOT designed to teach proficiency in the application of therapy.
This module explores the key theoretical models on which clinical psychology practice is based, and illustrates how these models inform clinical practice. This is intended to assist students in making decisions about pursuing a career in clinical psychology and to help prepare students for seeking relevant posts or training places. The module is presented in 11 weekly sessions consisting of lectures and small-group activities. Lectures will be given mainly by practising clinicians with expertise in particular theoretical approaches and their practical application to clinical problems, who have kindly agreed to contribute as guest lecturers to this module. Small-group work will include a range of activities designed to broaden students’ understanding of the concepts outlined in the lectures.
Adequate answer to the question, largely based on lecture material. No real development of arguments.
Reasonably comprehensive coverage. Well organised and structured. Good understanding of the material.
Comprehensive and accurate coverage of the area clarity of argument and expression. Depth of insight into theoretical issues
Outline key concepts of the major theories underpinning clinical psychology practice. For example, exploring the unique contribution that clinical psychology makes to mental health provision.
Give examples of how these theories are applied in practice. For example, understanding which theories and therapies are most relevant for certain populations and disorders.
Explain the distinctive approaches clinical psychologists take in conceptualising and formulating distress. For example, applying a structured model to understand the various factors leading to and maintaining distress.
Appreciate the importance of a lifespan developmental framework for clinical psychology. For example, understanding how various historical and contextual events increase and contribute to distress.
Develop an understanding of the scientist-practitioner approach that clinical psychologists adopt in their training and practice in the UK.
|ASTUDIAETH ACHOS||Assignment 1||
A two-part assignment that requires an understanding of formulation and how formulation applies to a case study.
The exam has two sections of equal weighting. In section one you will be required to provide short answers from a choice of several questions. The short answers will relate to various therapies (or aspects of them). In section two you will be required to choose to formulate and plan treatment for one of two case studies. The exam will take place in the May exam period.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Teaching will be delivered in various forms of didactic lecture, films, class demonstrations and small group interactions. You will be encouraged to be interactive. You will be expected to participate in class discussions in small groups.
There will be lots of reading provided for each of the lectures.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- Understand the scientific underpinnings of psychology as a discipline.
- Apply multiple perspectives to psychological issues and integrate ideas and findings across the multiple perspectives in psychology.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in written form.
- Communicate psychological concepts effectively in oral form.
- Retrieve and organise information effectively.
- Handle primary source material critically.
- Engage in effective teamwork for the purpose of collaborating on psychological projects.
- Be sensitive and react appropriately to contextual and interpersonal psychological factors.
- Work effectively under pressure (time pressure, limited resources, etc) as independent and pragmatic learners.
- Problem-solve by clarifying questions, considering alternative solutions, making critical judgements, and evaluating outcomes.
- Reason scientifically and demonstrate the relationship between theory and evidence.
- Understand and investigate the role of brain function in all human behaviour and experience.
- Comprehend and use psychological data effectively, demonstrating a systematic knowledge of the application and limitations of various research paradigms and techniques.
- Employ evidence-based reasoning and examine practical, theoretical and ethical issues associated with the use of different methodologies, paradigms and methods of analysis in psychology.
- Be aware of ethical principles and approval procedures.
See individual lectures on Blackboard
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C8EF: MSc Clinical and Health Psychology year 1 (MSC/CHPSY)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C8BY: MA Psychology year 1 (MA/PSYCH)
- C8BZ: MRes Psychology year 1 (MRES/PSYCH)
- C8DX: MSc Counselling year 2 (MSC/CNSL)
- C8EG: MSc Principles of Clinical Neuropsychology year 1 (MSC/PCNP)
- C8DU: MSc Psychology year 1 (MSC/PSY)
- C8AL: MSc Psychological Research year 1 (MSC/PSYRES)
- C808: MSci Psychology with Clinical & Health Psychology year 4 (MSCI/PHS)
- C807: MSci Psychology year 4 (MSCI/PS)