Postgraduate Academic Writing and Grammar Skills
Rhedir gan School of Arts, Culture and Language
10.000 Credyd neu 5.000 Credyd ECTS
Trefnydd: Miss Debbie Garlick
This course aims to enable students who are non-native speakers of English to gain the necessary skills for writing academically at postgraduate level. Students will become familiar with Bangor University academic writing conventions and will be able to write more effectively in their own research. Students will further develop competence in academic writing and grammar by reviewing English grammar and examining postgraduate academic writing in detail. Individual problem areas in both grammar and academic writing will also be examined and correction strategies will be integrated into the course structure.
This module develops more effective postgraduate academic writing skills for overseas students to enable them to write up their own research effectively, appropriately and correctly.
Writing skills There will be particular emphasis on the structure of postgraduate writing texts with a focus on planning, introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion and conclusion sections. Critical thinking and referencing skills, synthesis, paraphrasing, register, citation, proof-reading, editing and subject specific skills will also be included on the course.
Grammar skills Essential grammar skills for postgraduate writing will be reviewed including article use, connectors, sentence structure, noun phrases, subject verb agreement, preposition use, subject/verb agreement and relative clauses.
Reading Skills for Writing A wide variety of academic reading texts will be used to enhance reading, grammar and writing skills.
Pass - 50%: A student has achieved a good standard in English grammar and writing in coursework and examination relating to the learning outcomes above (equivalent to IELTS 6.5) A student shows the ability to produce good written English for a variety of purposes and in a variety of registers and has good awareness of structure, content, style and grammatical accuracy, although there may be some minor lapses in adherence to academic conventions and register. There are only a few errors in grammar and/or format but most are identified and self-corrected and do not interfere with the communication of ideas. Writing may be ambitious in terms of structure but this may not be fully fulfilled.
70%: A student has achieved an excellent standard in English grammar and writing in coursework and examination relating to the learning outcomes above (equivalent to IELTS 7.0 or above). A student shows the ability to produce excellent written English for a variety of purposes and in a variety of registers and has very good awareness of structure, content, style and grammatical accuracy. Writing closely follows academic conventions with appropriate register. There is evidence of effective error identification and self-correction with accurate use of sophisticated structures in writing. The communication of ideas is clear and effective.
On successful completion of the module, students will
- Have increased ability to organise and write dissertations, theses and other forms of written academic assignments in correct and appropriate English.
- Be aware of academic conventions in a UK university environment and be able to integrate these conventions into students’ own written work.
- Have raised awareness of personal problem areas in postgraduate academic writing and grammar.
- Have developed the skills of proof-reading and self-correction.
- Be able to incorporate information from source materials effectively using enhanced referencing skills and avoiding plagiarism.
|Academic Writing & Grammar Exam||40.00|
|Assignment 1 - Short Essay||25.00|
|Assignment 2 - Long essay||35.00|
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Cyflwyniad - Gallu cyflwyno gwybodaeth ac esboniadau yn glir i gynulleidfa. Trwy gyfryngau ysgrifenedig neu ar lafar yn glir a hyderus.
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Mentora - Gallu cefnogi, helpu, arwain, ysbrydoli ac/neu hyfforddi eraill
- Gofalu - Dangos consyrn am eraill; gofalu am blant, pobl ag anableddau ac/neu'r henoed
- Rheloaeth - Gallu defnyddio, cydlynu a rheoli adnoddau (dynol, ffisegol ac/neu ariannol)
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
- Arweinyddiaeth - Gallu arwain a rheoli, datblygu cynlluniau gweithredu ac amcanion, cynnig arweiniad a chyfarwyddyd i eraill, ac ymdopi â'r pwysau sy'n gysylltiedig ag awdurdod o'r fath