Rhedir gan School of Human and Behavioural Sciences
20.000 Credyd neu 10.000 Credyd ECTS
Semester 1 a 2
Trefnydd: Dr Julian Owen
Working as a sport and exercise science practitioner is an exciting and expanding career route in the UK and beyond. Practitioners may work to improve athlete performance in areas such as, strength and conditioning, performance psychology, performance physiology or sport nutrition; or focus on health and well-being of the general or clinical populations in roles such as exercise rehabilitators, health and well-being advisers or exercise professionals.
This module will help you to develop the key practical and theoretical competencies needed to provide sport and exercise science support to client(s).This development process will then be put into action with a supervised period of client work in your preferred area e.g. performance or health physiology or psychology; or exercise rehabilitation.
Part 1 (Semester 1) of this module will help you create a portfolio, highlighting the development of competencies related to client support. This will include; seminars on generic issues related to applied practice, supervisory tutorials with a discipline-specific workshops, shadowing opportunities and progress review sessions.
Summary of Part 1 content: - Sport and exercise science practitioner competencies, goal setting to improve professional competencies, reflective practice in practitioner development.
Part 2 (Semester 2) - Evidenced based practice in client support, ethical approaches to supporting clients. Part 2 will also involve completing a period of supervised applied sport and exercise science support with a client and presenting a coherent and critical evaluation of this support work. This process will be supported by your supervisor and additional whole group progress reviews (Case Study).
NB. Module failure will require resit assessment (exact date TBC but expected to be between June and July 2022).
Part 1 A one-page assessment of current experience and applied competencies including overall Goals in preparation for the Part 2 Case Study is presented. Goal sheets are clearly presented, and there is a good link between levels claimed and supporting evidence. An accurate list of workshops, activities and supervisory meetings attended is presented. Reflections on workshops, other activities and supervisory process completed. There is good organisation, structure and clarity to the goal sheets, there will be evidence of some depth in the content of the goal sheets and reflections.
Part 2 A needs analysis and intervention is presented with good detail, the outcome of the intervention is evaluated, and self-evaluation reflection is present. There is generally good critical evaluation of the intervention and its outcome, with appropriate reference to the literature and good discussion of the important literature. There may be some errors or problems with organisation or clarity of writing, or in places discussion could be more thorough.
Part 1 A one-page assessment of current experience and applied competencies including overall goals in preparation for the Part 2 Case Study is presented. Goal sheets are clearly presented, and there is some link between levels claimed and supporting evidence. An accurate list of workshops, activities and supervisory meetings attended is presented. Reflections on workshops, other activities and supervisory process completed. There may be some errors or problems with organisation or clarity of writing, or a general lack of depth in structuring the goal sheets and reflections.
Part 2 A needs analysis and intervention is presented, the outcome of the intervention is evaluated, and some self-evaluation reflection is present. There is some critical evaluation of the intervention and its outcome with appropriate reference to the literature, although in places references may be missing, or discussion may be superficial. There may be many errors or problems with organisation or clarity of writing, or a general lack of thoroughness.
Part 1 In addition to meeting the 'good' criteria, there is evidence of additional effort and/or mastery of the material. Following are some examples of such evidence: the report is succinct, organised and presented to an excellent standard; reference to the literature is particularly thorough, with in-depth discussion when appropriate (and without irrelevant discussion!). Issues raised in the report will be presented with a high degree of clarity and will demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of the subject area. Reflections will be extensive, detailed, and particularly insightful.
Part 2 In addition to meeting the 'good' criteria, there is evidence of additional effort and/or mastery of the material. Following are some examples of such evidence: the report is well-organised and clearly presented; reference to the literature is particularly thorough, with in-depth discussion when appropriate (and without irrelevant discussion!). For further progress in this grade band, the report will be exceptionally well organised and presented. Issues raised in the report will be presented with a high degree of clarity and will demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of the subject area. Reflections on the work conducted during the case study will be extensive, detailed, and particularly insightful.
Plan, initiate and evaluate an appropriate personal programme of development.
Provide an evidence based account of achievements and activities over Semester 1.
Coherently and critically presented integration of scientific knowledge within support work.
Strategaeth addysgu a dysgu
Private study will include:
Students will recruit a client and carry out a remote case study based on the clients needs.
Students will be assigned an academic supervisor who will provide support during the module. Students will be expected to be proactive in arranging appropriate tutorial appointments when required.
During Semester 1 a series of live online seminars will be delivered covering topics pertinent to applied practice within sport and exercise science. Pre-released content will on each topic will be provided online before each seminar.
This course will be taught through a combination of lectures, seminar, tutorials and workshops. For September 2020 we will be starting the academic year with a blended learning approach in response to Covid 19. For the most up to date information on this please look at https://www.bangor.ac.uk/courses/september-faqs.php.en.
- Llythrennedd - Medrusrwydd mewn darllen ac ysgrifennu drwy amrywiaeth o gyfryngau
- Rhifedd - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio rhifau ar lefelau priodol o gywirdeb
- Defnyddio cyfrifiaduron - Medrusrwydd wrth ddefnyddio ystod o feddalwedd cyfrifiadurol
- Hunanreolaeth - Gallu gweithio mewn ffordd effeithlon, prydlon a threfnus. Gallu edrych ar ganlyniadau tasgau a digwyddiadau, a barnu lefelau o ansawdd a phwysigrwydd
- Archwilio - Gallu ymchwilio ac ystyried dewisiadau eraill
- Adalw gwybodaeth - Gallu mynd at wahanol ac amrywiol ffynonellau gwybodaeth
- Sgiliau Rhyngbersonol - Gallu gofyn cwestiynau, gwrando'n astud ar atebion a'u harchwilio
- Dadansoddi Beirniadol & Datrys Problem - Gallu dadelfennu a dadansoddi problemau neu sefyllfaoedd cymhleth. Gallu canfod atebion i broblemau drwy ddadansoddiadau ac archwilio posibiliadau
- Ymwybyddiaeth o ddiogelwch - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch amgylchedd a hyder o ran cadw at reoliadau iechyd a diogelwch
- Gwaith Tîm - Gallu cydweithio'n adeiladol ag eraill ar dasg gyffredin, ac/neu fod yn rhan o dîm gweithio o ddydd i ddydd
- Dadl - Gallu cyflwyno, trafod a chyfiawnhau barn neu lwybr gweithredu, naill ai gydag unigolyn neu mewn grwˆp ehangach
- Hunanymwybyddiaeth & Ystyried - Bod yn ymwybodol o'ch cryfderau, gwendidau, nodau ac amcanion eich hun. Gallu adolygu ,cloriannu a myfyrio'n rheolaidd ar eich perfformiad eich hun ac eraill.
Sgiliau pwnc penodol
- research and assess paradigms, theories, principles, concepts and factual information, and apply such skills in explaining and solving problems
- describe, synthesise, interpret, analyse and evaluate information and data relevant to a professional or vocational context
- plan, design, execute and communicate a sustained piece of independent intellectual work, which provides evidence of critical engagement with, and interpretation of, appropriate data
- apply knowledge to the solution of familiar and unfamiliar problems
- demonstrate effective written and/or oral communication and presentation skills
- work effectively independently and with others
- take and demonstrate responsibility for their own learning and continuing personal and professional development
- self-appraise and reflect on practice
- plan and design practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- project manage and execute practical activities using appropriate techniques and procedures whilst demonstrating high levels of relevant skills
- recognise and respond to moral, ethical, sustainability and safety issues that directly pertain to the context of study including relevant legislation and professional codes of conduct
- undertake fieldwork with continuous regard for safety and risk assessment.
- demonstrate evidence of competence in the scientific methods of enquiry, and interpretation and analysis of relevant data and statistical outputs.
- develop transferable skills of relevance to careers outside of sport, health and exercise sciences.
- communicate succinctly at a level appropriate to different audiences.
- develop knowledge of psychometric instruments
- accurately interpret case study data
- develop justifiable and/or evidence-based interventions
- develop effective learning aids
- demonstrate effective robust data collection methods
Rhestrau Darllen Bangor (Talis)http://readinglists.bangor.ac.uk/modules/jxh-4008.html
Cyrsiau sy’n cynnwys y modiwl hwn
Gorfodol mewn cyrsiau:
- C612: MSci Adventure Sport Science year 4 (MSCI/ASS)
Opsiynol mewn cyrsiau:
- C608: MSci Sport, Health and Exercise Sciences year 4 (MSCI/SHS)
- C607: MSci Sport Science year 4 (MSCI/SS)
- C613: MSci Sport Science with International Experience year 5 (MSCI/SSIE)